The formation of the Anglican congregation of Pembroke got it's start in 1855 and was known as the "Pembroke Mission". It included the townships of Westmeath, Stafford, Wilberforce, and Pembroke. Services were held in private homes and pastoral visits were made by horseback.
In 1863, under the leadership of Rev. W. Henderson, a church building was begun, and was completed by 1864. Of Gothic architecture, with massive and enduring timbers, it was located at the corner of Cecilia Street and Pembroke Street East and served the congregation for the next 62 years.
By 1906 the town had developed westward, it was felt that the church should be more centrally located, and land was acquired on Renfrew Street. Plans for a new church were drawn up but had to be postponed due to a lack of funds. The congregation did not give up their dream of a new church however, and by 1909 their present Rectory was built and completely paid for by 1914.
After World War 1 the dream of a new church came alive once again. Fund raising schemes from all groups took place and with the sale of property owned by the church, together with a substantial loan from a member of the congregation, the dream was made a reality. The cornerstone was laid in 1925 with the service of dedication taking place on January 17, 1926. In 1944, 80 years after the opening of the first Holy Trinity Church in Pembroke the second Holy Trinity was consecrated by the Rt. Reverend Robert Jefferson, third Bishop of Ottawa.
The new church unites us with the past, as the cross on the main alter, and the two stained glass windows in the transcept, were brought from the original building.
A fitting tribute to "the Faith of Our Fathers" were these words by Archdeacon C.C. Phillips at the time of the consecration of Our Church in 1944:
"The day of the consecration of this building will be a day of great Thanksgiving to God for the lives of those who founded , and those who have maintained Holy Trinity Church in the years that have passed. Their devotion and self sacrifice must not be forgotten. Their names are held in hallowed memory by many who are here. On this historic occasion we must not only look back with thanksgiving , but forward with prayer, and renewed self-dedication".
In 1976 Reverend Kenward's message at the 50th Anniversary celebrations said it all:
"We go on from here knowing we have an inheritance, indeed a trust to continue. We continue going forward knowing God is in the midst of us. He will never leave us or forsake us. Therefore we continue - to go forward with the same faith that built this church building - and what privilege has been bestowed upon us."
Today, some one hundred and thirty-three years later, we are faced with an obligation to insure this house of worship is maintained to the best of our ability and that the memory of those Builders and Architects who have gone before us are never forgotten.
Praise be to God.
Rector's Warden, 1991